THE HISTORY

 

The Bedford (Leigh) Band was formed in 1875 by the parishioners of St. Thomas' Church Leigh. The band took it's original name from the church and was known as St. Thomas' Band Bedford.

The Bedford (Leigh) Band was formed in 1875 by the parishioners of St. Thomas' Church Leigh. The band took it's original name from the church and was known as St. Thomas' Band Bedford.

The first report of the band competing was in September 1884 at a contest organised by the St. Joseph's brass band also from Bedford, Leigh. The event was well reported in the both the Leigh Chronicle and the Leigh Journal (click for report) with the band under their conductor, Mr. J Frost, claiming the third prize of £2. The first prize going to Atherton Volunteers and the second to Farnworth Public.

On 1st December 1894 the band formally drew up it's constitution and registered with the Friendly Society under the name of The Bedford Church Brass Band.

To be continued ........